In the final six months, a number of payers, suppliers and income cycle distributors started warning sufferers about data breaches that affected medical billing data.
Here is a breakdown of seven cases:
1. Adaptive Health Integrations, an organization offering healthcare billing companies, suffered a breach in October that uncovered 510,574 people’ data. The incident is the third-largest healthcare data breach to happen in 2022, in accordance with HHS’ reporting portal.
2. Medical billing firm Medical Healthcare Solutions skilled a cyberattack that uncovered the protected well being data of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center sufferers. Both events are based mostly in Boston. Affected sufferers started being notified in February.
3. UnitedHealthcare and the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority acquired subpoenas from state Attorney General Peter Neronha on Jan. 27 concerning a data breach that compromised the data of twenty-two,000 folks. The August breach resulted in about 17,000 people’ data being compromised, the transit authority initially stated, however the affect has since grown. Information included data from the state’s medical insurance plan billing for company members and different state workers.
4. Philadelphia-based Jefferson Health skilled a data breach that compromised 9,000 sufferers’ protected well being data, the group stated in January. An unauthorized individual hacked into an internet insurance coverage portal utilized by Jefferson Hospital to entry affected person billing data on Nov. 18. The hacker tried to wire funds made to the hospital to themselves.
5. Billing statements containing the non-public well being data of 1,661 Advocate Aurora Health sufferers in Illinois had been mailed to the mistaken location, the well being system with twin headquarters in Downers Grove, Ill., and Milwaukee stated in December. Advocate Aurora stated the billing statements had been all despatched to 1 buyer on or round July 29. The hospital system stated the mail by no means arrived at its vacation spot.
6. Chapel Hill, N.C.-based UNC Health started notifying 946 sufferers in November that billing data linked to their accounts might need been accessed by one other one that was incorrectly given entry.
7. Anthem and Humana started notifying members in November their protected well being data could have been uncovered in a ransomware assault on a billing vendor. PracticeMax, a supplier of billing and IT options to healthcare organizations, skilled a ransomware assault from April 17-May 5, 2021.